Monday, August 11, 2014

New project (tentatively titled The Watersong)

So today I started some of the pre-writing for another project. It's an epic fantasy I've called The Watersong (for the moment at least). It's named for one of the types of magic in the world, and the one that will feature most prominently in the story.

There are actually three types of magic. I'm not entirely clear on what they do just yet, but I'm in the process of figuring these things out.

This epic fantasy will feature lots of magic, action, and (eventually, or perhaps not-so-eventually, world-ending stakes). You know, basically what you've come to expect from epic fantasy. This idea has been sitting around in my head for a while. That's usually how I work with ideas. I allow them to simmer for a while.

I already know who my three point-of-view characters will be. I already know the three main nations that feature in the book's conflict. I even have some of the religious background worked out, as religion will play a large role in the story, with gods actually making appearances.

I think I'm most excited with the setting for the first book (yes, I intend it to be a series. Don't I always?). Most of the book will take place in a sub-tropical island empire consisting of many small islands. I have no problem with faux medieval Europe, but there's so much more you can do with fantasy.

Other parts of the book (and series) will take place in a more traditional fantasy setting and in a country consisting mostly of desert.

I can't tell you much about the plot, as I'm still in the process of figuring it out. However, I do hope that writing about this story will help me in sticking with it. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment