Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Science Fiction Book Review: Gridlinked by Neal Asher

This is another book I finished today. It was a good read. It was sort of space opera meets cyberpunk meets spy thriller. While it was a lot of fun, I didn't connect with the characters as much as I would have liked. Granted, some of that is due to the concept behind the book. Our main character, Agent Cormac, has been Gridlinked so long that he's out of touch with his humanity. In essence, he's spent all his time with a computer in his head (though it's a bit more complicated than that).

Now he's without that guidance and connection, and he has to tackle an action-packed plot (and reclaim his humanity in the process).

There was a lot of action in this book, and that's how I like it. I rarely felt that the pacing lagged. However, I did feel Asher spent too much time with the antagonists. I prefer to keep such sections short, but at times, we spent as much time with the antagonists as we did with our hero.

I also would have liked to get a better idea of the universe he created. I'm not really sure if this polity Agent Cormac lives in is a good system or a bad system. Basically, I identified with him in his support of the government because the separatists seemed like bad people.

In all, though, it was a good book, and I'll probably read more by Asher at some point.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment