Thursday, October 2, 2014

Fantasy Reading List: Legend by David Gemmell

David Gemmell's books have been around for a long time, but I just finally got around to reading one of them recently. I chose Legend, as that's the one most people recommend you start with. It was an interesting story, and not quite what I expected when I picked it up. I was thinking the whole thing would be a big battle, and, yes, there was a nice big battle at the end, but there was more to it than that.

I also wasn't expecting for Druss to be an old warrior well past his prime. It was an interesting take on that kind of character, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. In fact, I ended up liking most of the characters (though I did think the romance between two of the main characters happened way too quickly).

This book isn't a complex read by any means, but it's fun, with some good action sequences (both smaller scale skirmishes and large-scale confrontations). I liked it enough that I'll check out more from Gemmell at some point.

My biggest complaint about the book was the author's handling of point of view. I'm guessing he chose to use an omniscient narrator, but it came off more as head-hopping than omniscient. The point of view would change from one character to another with no warning. Sometimes it would even switch locations. This took a bit of an adjustment and detracted from the book for me.

Rating: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment